The internet is a vital tool for modern contractors in all kinds of industries, and promoting your personal website can be the key to truly making a success of contracting. Your website is often the driving force behind finding new work and can really be the turning point in your contracting career.
If you are thinking of setting up a limited company for your contractor business, then you cannot afford to miss the fantastic advantages of a unique and professional website.
It can be incredibly difficult to get your website into a position where the right kinds of industry and business leaders get to see it. With that in mind, here are five ways that you can improve your website’s presence online and encourage your site to support your reputation as an expert contractor.
1. Use Fresh, Original Content – The most important thing you may have noticed regarding Google optimisation and SEO, is that Google encourages unique content. You are an expert in your field and by creating unique content that is up to date, you provide your audience with fresh content.
By ensuring that your website features a separate blog section, you can create industry-specific content on a regular basis, which will be extremely useful to your readers. It can be a particularly helpful tool when building credibility, particularly if you are only just setting up a limited company.
2. Submit Articles To Industry Sites/Magazines – If you have one of your articles or blog posts published by an industry magazine or website, you will be able to increase your reputation by a great deal and ensure that the right kinds of people are seeing your site.
From an SEO perspective, this will also result in high-quality links to your website that can really help search engines like Google to recognise your website as a useful one for your target audience.
3. Meta Keywords – When you create content of any kind, make sure you know what search terms the people you want to read your content are putting into Google. An example might be “IT Contractors in London”. Keywords that are even more specific are available, which can offer suggestions regarding the type of content you produce. You can use tools such as Buzz Sumo and Google Keyword Planner tool to find relevant keywords for your industry and website.
4. Be Active On Social Media – Now, we don’t just mean post pictures of your pets or your children; make sure that you are engaging with other specialists and sharing your opinions on things that are happening in the industry. This can help to improve the trustworthiness of your actual website, through intelligent social signals, that Google will notice.
5. Internal Linking – This sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. Internal links are nothing but links, which lead to pages on your own website and can facilitate easy movement around your site. It can also be useful for establishing hierarchical information about your site, making it much easier for a search engine to crawl your website effectively.
- SEO – Search Engine Optimisation. This is the method used to ensure that your site is visible and high in the rankings of search engines for your key search terms.
- Keywords – The words that an audience will type into a search engine to find your site.
For ideas and inspiration on how to create content for your blog and website, use these top SEO tools and resources:
Examples of well-optimized websites for contractors:
If you are a contractor and are thinking about setting up a limited company, you cannot afford to do so without the help of a specialist contractor accountant. Here at Churchill Knight & Associates Ltd, we can help you to smoothly transition from employee to contracting professional.
For more information on the best ways to make your new contracting career a success, or for advice on setting up a limited company for the first time, use the Request a Callback button below to discuss your options with our expert team. Alternatively, use our Take Home Pay Calculator to receive a personalised calculation.